Friday, September 4, 2009

Shut your TweetFace

Day 3 – This is a contradiction.

This is intentional hypocrisy.

You can’t really quit the internet if you’re blogging.

And sharing it on TweetFace might make it doubly worse.

So why the blog, if I’m quitting the internet? Well, one reason is that with all this new found free time, I’m getting a little bored. For reals yo! Today, instead of coming home and warming my crotch with a laptop, I cleaned off my shelf in the office – the shelf that was overrun with grad school crap. Everyone has one of these shelves. The place where receipts and pennies go to die. Well, mine had gotten out of hand so much so, that there was a tiny pile of school stuff that had nested at the corner of my bed…for months. It’s all neatly stacked and sorted.

So, blogging is a time suck.

In the modern age too, it’s started operating as a public critique and commentary. Blogging is the ONLY reason anyone ever paid attention to Perez Hilton. It works as forum for discussion sometimes, a new frontier in the freedom of speech. Everyone can have a blog. Unlike newspapers, literary journals or publishing companies – there’s no biased filter. No gate-keeper. Granted, having the internet is still a privileged luxury, the elitist class structures and networks surrounding major media outlets and artistic institutions aren’t necessarily as present in the blogosphere. It’s like a giant open-mic. An open-mic that if you don’t particularly care for, you don’t have to listen to. But everyone who can get on the interwebs can sign up and read their crappy poetry.

And I think really cool shit happens on blogs sometimes. I can't think of any of it right now, and I can't go look for it on the internet. But, people so document important parts of their lives and make them available for public consumption. I don’t think, I know that this creates repositories of resources for people.

Also I’m studying writing. The first rule of which…write everyday. I don’t…or I didn’t. I have for the last couple of days. I have never had the discipline to write everyday. I like to think that I’m letting my words stew and collect, but that’s not how writing works. So partly, blogging and this project are machines to get me to write everyday.

I think that blogs differ from TweetFace because of the nature of writing. Writing is an inherently solitary process. It requires you to sit, be still and process your thoughts into coherent wording. TweetFace is about constant contact – back and forth exchange in a less mature format. Writing is a meditative time I don’t often give to myself. Neither is journaling, but now I’m not tending my FarmLand so…

Plus secretly, I dream that my blog is amazing, and Ira Glass loves it, and I launch my career w/ This American Life because I quit the internet.

Ira, you can email me at antiochlogan@yahoo.com